The Official Karelia
  Русская версияEnglish versionSuomalainen versio
  |About Karelia |Symbols   |Tourism |  Cooperation |

Veppsian national volost

Exposition of Sheltozero museum

Exposition of Sheltozero museum

This is a self-governing territory on the west coast of Onego Lake which existed from 1994 to 2005. On Janyary 1, 2006 territory of Veppsian national volost became a part of Prionezhsky region. Veppsian national volost included Sheltozero, Rybreka and Shoksha Veppsian national Councils of Prionezhsky region. The area of the volost makes 0.82 thousand sq km. Village of Sheltozero is the administrative center. Most of the settlements are located along the Onego Lake coast and are connected with each other and the city of Petrozavodsk by the public-use motorway of republucan significance.

In the region there are large-scale deposits of dark-red quartzite, gabbro-diabase and clay. It is the most forest-covered region in Karelia. Veppsians are the indigenous people there. Key industrieas are mining, stone-working, logging, wood-working, agriculture, and fishery. In the volost there are 3 secondary schools, kindergartens, children's musical school and its branch, libraries, 3 Culture Palaces, and a community club. In 1936 there has been founded the Veppsian National Choir, and in 1982 — Children's Veppsian Choir.

The Tree of Life festival is held in the volost annually. Veppsian national traditions are preserved in the Veppsian ethnographic museum of Sheltozero. There are 111 government registered monuments of archeology, history, architecture, including 34 sites of primeval people, dated to the 6-1 millenium BC, burial grounds of the 3-1 millenium BC. Natural landmarks — cult groves in villages of Verkhruchei, Kaskesruchei, and in the settlement of Rybreka — are related to religious beliefs of Veppsians. In Veppsian national volost there are 68 monuments of wooden architecture. These are traditional peasant buildings: houses, barns, cattlesheds, stables. There are two monsteries — Yashezersky hermitage of the Annunciation founded no later than 1580, and Brusnensky monastery, — as well as the stone Church of St.Apostle Thomas (early XXth century), wooden church in the village of Verkhruchei (late XIXth century) and a church in the village of Gornoye Sheltozero (mid-XIXth century).

V. Ishanina
Encyclopedia Karelia is published by PetroPress Publishing House ©
Pervomaisky Ave. 48, Petrozavodsk

Technical support
Created: May 22, 2009. Last updated: July 23, 2009.
© State Committee of the RK for ICT Development, 1998-2015